Without a truly real reference to the past of
there can be no sustainable functioning concept for the future of
What is wanted then, is: 'Tradition is not the worship of the ashes of the past, but the passing on of the fire to the future.' (a sort of citation from Paracelsus)
The Cobenzl was a Viennese Institution for more than a century, and mostly for the Viennese citizens.
We want to bring that to life again. Under uncompromising and unrestrained confiscation of all that, which today is happening in Vienna so splendidly and futuristically.
And then, people will not even be able to rescue themselves from the flood of tourists.
Today, nothing is left of the previous Cobenzl Castle. This was built in the year 1776 by Count Johann Philipp of Cobenzl and stood around 500 metres about the building, which we now call 'Cobenzl Castle', and it was demolished after the Second World War. All that remains of that wonderful baroque edifice today are old prints and dusty plans.
The present Cobenzl Castle was always owned by the Municipality of the City of Vienna and was erected in the year 1907 as a place for excursions, and it was let out under a tenancy for example in 1910 to Messrs. Julius Kuehn and Ludwig Taeuber to run it. Today, the place can cater for an unbelievable sounding number of 4,000 guests, all at the same time.
With the construction and opening of the high road and the taking over of the tenancy by the Huebner Family in the Thirties, a further 'golden age' of the Cobenzl began. The Huebner Family remained tenants of the Cobenzl until 1972. In 1934, the Architect Potyka constructed the first annexe in 'Bauhaus' style.
It was Potyka also, who at the beginning of the Fifties erected the 'Rondell Café' which became the landmark of the Cobenzl. It was able to cater for several hundred guests. In the Fifties and Sixties, the Cobenzl was a particularly well visited excursion destination. The famous Cobenzl Bar drew many night revellers up onto the Hill.
After the golden age of the Fifties and the Sixties, the Cobenzl fell into a sort of 'Sleeping Beauty' repose, and the tenancy was taken on in 1982 by a new tenant. After early successes, the building could no longer be properly maintained without suffering intrinsic damage.
Image material has been employed to the best of our knowledge and belief. We would however be glad of copyright approval and the submission of further pictures.